I’m calling this a ‘warm salad’ because I have no idea what to call it. This quinoa salad is one of my fave healthy weeknight dinners, and it’s been made even easier ever since I got my new Zojirushi rice cooker! I used to cook my quinoa on the stovetop like the package says – boil and then fluff. The problem with that is you need to keep your eye on it and it can sometimes stick a little to the bottom of pots if you’re not careful about turning the heat off just at the right moment.
Now I rinse the quinoa off in my little strainer (meant originally for tea pots but you can use any fine sieve), put the quinoa and the same recommended amount of water into the rice cooker and hit the quick cook button. It’s fairly quick and cooks perfectly without having to watch it.
I can prep the rest of the dish and start cooking when the quinoa is almost done. My secret ingredient to this is a few drops of soy sauce or Maggi sauce. Maggi sauce is like soy sauce in color, but a flavor enhancer that makes dishes taste savory with just a few drops. I think it’s essentially MSG which I try to forget because I am typically MSG averse.
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links.
- Handful of Shrimp
- Cherry Tomato (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Maggi Sauce or soy sauce
- Rinse your quinoa
- Cook in your electric rice cooker with the same amount of water as preparing in a traditional pot (or cook on stove top using package instructions)
- Heat oil and garlic in a shallow pan
- Toss in your kale and let it wilt for a bit
- Push aside kale in the pan to make room for cooking the shrimp
- Stir everything together with salt + pepper
- Place cooked quinoa into the pan and turn off the heat
- Shake a few drops of soy sauce into the mix and stir everything together with the residual heat (also put in the halved cherry tomatoes at this point if you like)