This rice cooker tomato rice hack has been everywhere on the internet lately, so I had to give it a try! It’s so simple, but yields yummy flavorful rice. I’ve tried it using just water and then with chicken stock. Both were delicious.
It’s really as simple as cooking your rice in the rice cooker with a tomato or two, and mixing it all up when it’s done. For a quality rice cooker that lasts years, I recommend any Zojirushi rice cooker.
Definitely give it a try for a quick flavor boost to your rice!
- 1 large tomato (or 2 plum tomatoes)
- 1 Asian cup of rice (use the cup that comes with your rice cooker)
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- Water or Chicken broth
- Wash your rice
- Place washed rice, your liquid of choice and seasonings into the rice cooker pot and mix
- Leave out about 5-6 TBS of liquid to compensate for the liquid the tomatoes will produce
- Place the tomatoes on top and turn on your rice cooker
- Once cooked, mix it all together!