For those who are on a health kick, a green smoothie is filling and this one tastes like a piña colada. =) A pinch of cayenne pepper boosts health benefits, and adds another layer of flavor. Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe, but feel free to substitute any ingredients. To keep that piña colada flavor, the coconut and pineapple flavors are key.
Tip: For the best blending, place your leafy greens on the bottom and put the heavy fruit in last. This allows the greens to blend and emulsify a bit before mixing with the rest of the ingredients, which prevents any unsightly green chunks if you don’t have one of those super power blenders. I used to prepare this and put it into a Zojirushi Stainless Steel Travel Mug for drinking as a breakfast smoothie at work. Make sure if you do this to use a similar thermos that really keeps things cold. Unfortunately I’ve been too lazy to wake up earlier to make this even though it’s so simple. I’ve defaulted to granola bars and make this mostly on the weekends now. Give it a try and start your new year off right!
- 1-2 cups Frozen pineapple or tropical fruit depending on how icy you like it
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup of vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 + Handfuls of spinach (sweeter) or kale (earthy)
- 1 cup or several splashes of coconut milk (the Almond Breeze coconut & almond milk is a yummy combo)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend away! Depending on your tastes, you can add or subtract these ingredients or change up the quantities to your liking.